LinuxG33K,Geekineer,Open Sourcerer,Social Entrepreneur,Certified Linux Engineer,Computer Engineer,Explorer,Community Volunteer,Poet,Lyricist and Composer
Thursday, August 10, 2006
COMMUNICATE THE FUNDAMENTALS
puro meeting today sa mga eskwelahan...Arellano, EAC
=========== COMMUNICATE THE FUNDAMENTALS
For people to be productive and satisfied professionally, they have to know what their fundamental responsibilities are. It sounds so simple, but Peter Drucker says one of the critical problems in the workplace today is that there is a lack of understanding between the employer and employee as to what the employee is to do. Often employees are made to feel they are vaguely responsible for everything. It paralyzes them. Instead, we need to make clear to them what they are and are not responsible for. Then they will be able to focus their efforts on what we want, and they will succeed.
Look again at how a basketball team works. Each of the five players has a particular job. There is a shooting guard whose job is to score points. The other guard is a point guard. His job is to pass the ball to people who can score. Another player is a power forward who expected to get rebounds. The small forward’s job is to score. The center is supposed to rebound, block shots, and score. Each person on the team knows what his job is, what his unique contribution to the team must be. When each concentrates on his particular responsibilities, the team can win.
One of the best ways to clarify expectations is to provide your people with job descriptions. In the description, identify the four to six primary functions you want the person to perform. Avoid long laundry lists of responsibilities. If the job description can’t be summarized, the job is probably too broad. Also try to make clear what authority they have, the working parameters for each function they are to perform, and what the chain of authority is within the organization.
Another essential that has to be communicated to new leaders is how they are to prioritize. I tell people that everything they do is either an “A” or a “B” priority. The concept helps them understand what is more important.
“A” priorities are ones that move the organization, department, or job function forward. They break ground, open doors to new opportunities, or develop new markets. They prompt growth within people or the organization. “B” priorities are concerned with maintenance. They are required for things to continue running smoothly, such as answering letters or phone calls, and taking care of details. They are things that cannot be neglected, but they don’t add value to the organization. I have found that people often expend their best on “B” priorities because they seem urgent, and they give “A” priorities what’s left over. I always encourage my people to give 80 percent of their time and energy to the “A” prioritiesand remaining 20 percent to the “B” group.
Finally, a leader must communicate to his or her people that their work has value to the organization and to the individual leader. To the employee, this often is the most important fundamental of all.