Wednesday, June 18, 2008

To all smart subscribers, did you know that WVdial can save the day!

Since it is very critical for me to be able to use "Internet" when I'm out of the confines office, I configured my Eeepc and my p990i+wvdial[1] ... This way, im able to

*properly monitor the status of our clients
*Send important emails
*update my projects and do my research
*others...

Yes, I opted for wvdial since this is very easy to use and this is the program that the NITIX product that we carry, used as an intelligent PPP dialer.

Dont cram yourself to send me SMS or email me on how I was able to configure this on my eeepc. Instead, right here i will share the steps so that everybody can also do this and enjoy this kind of service. (i believe that the steps will also work for any debian base linux)

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I just consulted "Jajapot" and she told me that you need to pay PhP 10/ per 30mins based on her experience. hiyun lang!

OKAY,let's start.

First you need to install WVdial on your PC (Eeepc)

then , I updated my /etc/apt/sources.list

#vi /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://xnv4.xandros.com/xs2.0/upkg-srv2 etch main contrib non-free
deb http://dccamirror.xandros.com/dccri/ dccri-3.0 main
deb http://update.eeepc.asus.com/p701 p701 main
deb http://update.eeepc.asus.com/p701/en p701 main

install wv-dial using apt-get
# apt-get install wvdial

create/modify wvdial configuration file.
# wvdialconf
*this command will detect your USB modem (P990i) and will automatically genarate /etc/wvdial.conf file.

#vi /etc/wvdial.conf

IMPORTANT NOTE:
* “internet” is smart's (APN) so you need to put this line in your configuration.
Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"
* If your using smart network you can put any value in username and password since this is not needed.
* It is very important that you also put *99# as your phone value. (check with smart network)

enough of explaining the other parametters..whew!...here is my /etc/wvdial.conf =)

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"
Modem Type = USB Modem
ISDN = 0
New PPPD = yes
Phone = *99#
Modem = /dev/ttyACM1
Username = meric
Password = meric
Baud = 460800
Auto DNS = 1
Dial Command = ATD
Ask Password = 0
FlowControl = NOFLOW

Once, you have this all configured "YOU'RE READY TO GO".

you can now run your "wvdial" and start surfing.
#wvdial

Enjoy!

Special thanks to Dave Coombs / Avery Pennarun for doing a greate job and innovation on the wvdial.

[1]http://alumnit.ca/wiki/?WvDial

No comments: